Ruth and Sara (my wife and daughter) called the OGCB-palooza rally the "old guy thing." They had it basically right, but that does miss some of more sublime aspects of yesterday's event. For example:
- Singles and gearies;
- 26ers, 29ers, and at least one 69er (some call them 96er but what fun is that?);
- Bicycles built for one and a couple built for two;
- Bikes with seats and bikes without (ouch);
- Geezers, youngsters, fathers, daughters, wives, old friends, and new;
- Coolers overflowing with cheap beer...Strohs, Mickey's wide-mouth, the newest expensive-sounding-cheap-beer Lionhead...and a few fancy-schmanzy beers to round out the selection;
- No bikes had a potato cannon, but I think it is just a matter of time.
Many thanks to Jim for organizing OGCB and to everyone else for rolling out the welcome mat for some new riders. I had a great time even though I left before the 3rd trip to the teeter!
"Bikes, babes, and beer. Whenever life gets you down, return to the fundamentals"