Friday, July 1, 2011

What Works

My Junk
Five days in the mountains. Bikes, equipment, packing, what to bring, what not to bring, what works what doesn't?

Fixing lunch for the road
I packed pretty well. Used 90% of what I brought, and didn't miss much. Big wins:
  • Synthetic underwear - can't believe it took me this long. Always fresh and breezy, almost like going comando except with some help for the boys. A+++++
  • Arm warmers - as Glenn said "modular clothing is awesome." He's right.
  • My own bike seat - this where "the rubber meets the road" so to speak. Best to do it with a familiar friend.
  • Chamois Butt'r - awkward the first few times you use it but an ounce of prevention...
  • Baby wipes - five days in the bush, I'm just sayin'
  • Journal - just a few minutes each evening around the campfire, priceless
Friends, campfire,
and a bottle of scotch
made for a memorable
night four.
Of questionable utility:
  • Leg warmers - didn't use, maybe it was Dave's "Flash Dance" comment
  • Winter gear - didn't use, but would have been nice if weather hadn't cooperated
  • Beer and liquor - we went way overboard (8 cases beer, bottles of burbon, scotch, rum, vodka). For an event this physically demanding you just don't have the time or inclination to drink 5 beers a night. However scotch is a different story...
I've got my list, checked it twice, ready for another go....

No comments:

Post a Comment