Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Google Bike

I was fiddling around in Google Maps this evening. Pathetic I know but times are tough with trails still recovering from our awesome record snowfall. Anyway I stumbled upon a new option to get map directions for Bicycles. Google Maps already had directions for cars, public transit, and walking. Biking is a new addition. Cool.

So I punched in part of our ride from last weekend. Sean was our guide and he took us on an awesome 30 mile loop from the Blue Heron out Little Conestoga past Struble Lake and St. Mary's, and home via Creek Road. It was a sweet route - rolling country roads and very little automobile traffic.

Anyway Google Maps took a more direct route which I presume would be less bike friendly. By fiddling with the map I was able to coax it into routing us along Little Conestoga. I was curious to see how long it would take (to ride that leg, not fiddle with Google Maps). Google predicted 1 hour and 10 minutes.

We beat that time by at least 20 minutes.

We must be studs.

Yeah right.

Chris

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris - maybe you saw this, but when in Google Maps, click "More" in the upper right. Click on "Bicycling" and some bike routes will pop up. Flatish rail-trails mostly, but interesting nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I zoomed on on Philly area, and seem to have the standard bike routes along the river and through Wissahickon valley pretty well nailed. Cool tool for when we must do the unthinkable and...ride......roads. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete