Sunday, March 28, 2010

Looking Forward


It feels good to be blogging about riding instead of Google's embrace of bicycling or MRIs of compound fractures. I mean that stuff is fun and all that, but this is a biking blog, so it's really just a lot of blathering if it's not about riding bikes.

So anyway, three rides in two weeks -- which after a couple of months of sitting on the couch watching the snow melt, is HUGE. Last weekend, Jason joined us for his first mountain bike ride in years. He is a roadie/cyclocross guy and rode a borrowed SS. Well it turns out that cyclocross not only keeps you in shape, but it develops some bike handling skills as well. Yeah, he pretty much dusted Sean and I up, down, and all around. That's OK, after a few more weeks in the saddle I will be able to make a better accounting of myself. I know it's not a competition, but I think we all appreciate riding with someone who pushes us in some way.

And yesterday, Scott joined Bob and I for a morning ride. Scott is a 20-something roadie who decided to get into MTB and dropped some coin on a spanking new Giant Trance. I can't remember the last time I saw a bike that shiny. After a busted chain, a lot of mud and a little blood, Scott was grinning ear to ear. Another convert to the dark side?

Ahhh, spring time. No gloves, booties, balaclava or long pants. Newbie riders testing the waters. Weekday sunrise rides. Months of peak riding ahead of us. The possibilities!

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live."
– Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment