Monday, September 1, 2008

Communication Breakdown

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Andy Sokol wrote in an email to the group: "WAY TO DROP THE BALL DDAY!!"  What follows was my response...


Wow thanks Andy for the nice email (below), I had a great weekend. How was yours?

By "drop the ball" (in flaming capital letters) I presume you are referring to the rescheduled Sunday ride. In my last management trend of the year seminar, I learned that indeed it is the responsibility of the communicator (i.e., me) to ensure the message is effectively received by the audience (i.e., you), so I have taken this to heart. I spent Sunday afternoon and the entire day on Monday in my dark basement office beating myself up, reading management effectiveness books, and Googling "effective communication" trying to figure out how I managed to scramble such a simple message. I am at an impasse, stuck trying to figure out what part of "If you let me know you are interested in riding on Sunday and the time does change then I will be sure to let you know" you did you not understand? Please advise.

For those of you who want to finish the summer on a high note, the Marsh Creek Triathlon (MarshMan) is returning on Sep 14th! The format is do-able (0.25m swim, 12m bike, 2m run) and it looks like over 400 entrants so far! I have already registered for the Bike Philly thing on that same day so can't do MarshMan, but if you are interested check it out at http://www.piranha-sports.com/Race34.aspx

Riley and I cranked out a great ride this morning. The light rain we got earlier in the weekend has done wonders for the local trails, they are in friggin' great shape.

Finally in closing here is my attempt to communicate a ride schedule for this week:
  • Tue 9/2/2008 is OUT due to back to school activities
  • Wed morning 9/3/2008 6:30am ride.
  • Thr evening 9/4/2008 7:00pm ride. Note bring your lights as this ride will likely end in the dark.
All times are daylight savings time for the eastern time zone.

Adny, plesae let me konw if you hvae any qeutsoins or if tihs cmomnucitaoin appaers to be gralbed.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment